What Does It Take to Become a Cosmetologist?
Are you the first one of your friends to try a new hairstyle or lipstick shade? Are you always doing someone’s hair color in your head? Do strangers tell you they love your hair, nails, or make-up? Then it’s time to consider cosmetology school!
The good news is that just about anyone can get into a cosmetology school.
Here’s the scoop on cosmetology school requirements what you need to do to get into cosmetology school, and the classes you’ll need to take to become a salon ready Redken cosmetologist:
- A high school diploma or G.E.D: Cosmetology schools require a basic education to get in and you must have either a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Age requirements: Cosmetology schools admit people of all ages and backgrounds. However, the state of Texas requires our students to be 16 years of age to enroll but you have to 17 when you apply for your license. It’s the diplomas or G.E.D.s that future stylists need to have in order to get into cosmetology.
- Basic English skills: All kinds of people enroll in classes, but courses at TSPA are taught in English. The ability to follow along in basic English will help you do well.
- Pass basic classes: To get your certificate or degree, you’ll take fun courses on hair cutting and styling, skin care, make-up application, and more.
- A passion for the job: If you love to style your friends and help others discover their own beauty, you’ll love your cosmetology courses!
With cosmetology programs available near you and online, you can get started on your new career today! Contact admissions. Get started now, book a live or virtual tour.
Beyond the Salon: The Wide World of Beauty Careers
If you want to have as much fun as Queen Latifah in Beauty Shop, then a job in a salon is a great option. But did you know that there are countless opportunities in many fields for those with in-demand cosmetology skills?
What can you do with a cosmetology career?
- Entertain: We love J.Lo, but let’s face it: J.Lo would not be J.Lo without her team helping her maintain her look! Skilled cosmetologists are in demand across the entertainment industry.
- Teach: Share your passion for hair and beauty by becoming a beauty school educator!
- Travel: Take your skills on the road in your own mobile hair salon or as a stylist on a cruise ship!
- Sell: Work for leading companies like Revlon, L’Oréal, and Redken after you learn the business in cosmetology school!
- Write: Write blogs and articles on new products, tools, and techniques for major beauty companies.
- Heal: Help people with chronic illness by becoming a beauty consultant to hospitals and treatment centers.
- Style: Work behind the scenes in the exciting worlds of fashion shows, photo shoots, and television shows!
A cosmetology education can open doors in multiple industries, so what are you waiting for? Start today! Book your virtual tour with Admissions 210.560.8772.
Wish we could be on campus with our ARTIST’s but instead, we’re bringing campus to you! 🏫➡️💻.
The Salon Professional Academy (TSPA) just launched temporary distance-learning or temporary online learning for our cosmetology and esthetics programs. Just like it is for you, it is new to us as well. We are all a little stressed and adapting to our new world as quickly as possible. To make your transition into the beauty world smooth, here are our top 3 tips to help you manage your online classes –
Tips For Online Learning:
- Manage your time. Set up a view of your daily & weekly schedule by first mapping out a calendar of all of the assignment and activity due dates along with work and family commitments. It’s okay to be selfish, block off time each week to get classwork done. Online classes tend to have a weekly flow and include discussion boards that require student participation. Plan to be a part of the conversation.
- Be a good participant. Good discussions are thoughtful, your best resources to help you bring good discussion starters can be from peer conversations, headlines, lecture and course materials. Great responses go beyond agreeing with your peers. Build on the discussion with your own ideas and experiences.
- Build your social community. Share contact information with your peers to connect on homework assignments and for social support. Be a part of TSPA’s Facebook pages for enrolled students to get the best information fast and easy access to peer conversations on campus and homework topics. Your campus is here to support you every step of the way. Online students benefit from the same support as on-campus students, including help with financial aid to questions about technique.
Be kind to yourself. We are all in uncharted territory right now but we all have each other’s support even if it’s temporarily from a distance right now.
Whether you’re interested in attending TSPA or just missing home, take a virtual tour with us! 🎥. Admissions is just a call (210-560-8772), or email away from your future.
Stuck at Home? Start a New Cosmetology Career!
In an uncertain world, you can still take steps toward your future no matter where you are today! Start your cosmetology career online and get a head start on a new career from the comfort and safety of your own home!
TSPA knows that students want the best education they can get. That’s why TSPA now offers online cosmetology and beauty school certificates and licenses.
What are the benefits of TSPA’s temporary online cosmetology and beauty school programs?
- Start any time. New classes start regularly, so there’s no need to wait!
- Accessibility: All you need is an internet connection and you’re ready to start your training!
- Variety: You can learn techniques in many areas, including cosmetology, esthetics, nail technology, business management, and marketing.
- Financial Aid or Financial Assistance: Online students may qualify for all kinds of scholarships, grants, and loans. More financial resources may be available during this time.
- Program support: Online students benefit from the same support as on-campus students, including help with financial aid to questions about technique.
Our modern style education appeals to all styles of learning. TSPA knows that there are no limits to what you can do and is now providing temporary online cosmetology programs* to help you achieve your goals no matter where you are! If you’re looking for a cosmetology school that is for your style of learning, book your virtual tour with our admissions counselors to put your future into motion.
A Cosmetology Degree is Your Path to a Better Future!
According to Forbes, America needs trade school graduates now. A career in the beauty industry could be your ticket to financial security!
The beauty industry is worth $523 billion dollars. The average American woman even spends nearly a quarter of a million dollars on hair and make-up in her lifetime!
That’s why the job outlook for cosmetologists, barbers, hairstylists, and make-up artists is better than any other field right now. The need is so great that you can start working and earning as soon as you complete a short trade school certificate in cosmetology!
How can you cash in on this trend?
- Investigate the different skills you can develop. You can become a hairstylist, make-up artist, skincare specialist, and more.
- Search for trade schools in your area or online to see what’s available.
- Talk to admissions counselors to find out what program is right for you.
- Enroll in a program at a trade or cosmetology school. Programs are short and affordable, and available in all areas of cosmetology.
An affordable trade school certificate can put you on the road to work in no time. If you want a career path with a stable financial future, consider enrolling in a cosmetology program! Start School from Your Home – Online learning has begun. Book your virtual tour with Admissions 210.560.8772.
On September 27th, Trim Hunger hopes to break the Guinness Book of World Records’ existing record for the most people cutting hair at the same time when over 20 Trim Hunger Cut-A-Thons will be held simultaneously at The Salon Professional Academies (TSPAs) across the nation. Additionally, a wide variety of events and fund-raisers will take place at individual participating TSPA franchise locations. To learn more about Trim Hunger, visit www.TrimHunger.com
In recognition of Hunger Awareness Month, Redken 5th Avenue NYC in collaboration with The Salon Professional Academy, will host the Trim Hunger™ Cut-A-Thon at the Redken Exchange in NYC on Thursday, September 10th from 10am– 3:30 pm to benefit City Harvest, a food rescue organization dedicated to helping feed the nearly 1.4 million New Yorkers facing hunger.
Top Redken stylists will be giving haircuts, blowouts and braids for a minimum donation of $25. Much like the way color specific ribbons are worn in support of causes, painting your thumbnail has taken on the same social identity. Essie, also a sponsor of the event, will be offering “orange thumbie” manicures in their Trim Hunger “Roarrrrange” shade as a symbol of support in the fight against hunger.
Trim Hunger is the most recent non-profit endeavor of Redken stylist Josif Wittnik, owner of Salon CTI and Day Spa and The Salon Professional Academy in Appleton, WI. Following a local project to help feed families in need in his community, Josif developed Trim Hunger to raise awareness for the cause and feed the hungry on a national level.
“It costs City Harvest just 25 cents to rescue and deliver one pound of food in New York City, and with more than 2.6 million New Yorkers struggling to afford food for themselves and their families, a little bit goes a long way,” says Leslie Marino, General Manager, Redken US. “Redken’s Trim Hunger Cut-A-Thon will bring together both stylists and members of the community to help make an immediate impact on the fight against hunger in New York City.”